Friday, September 16, 2016

Digital Note Taking

"Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things." 
~Peter Drucker

I remember when I was a middle school student that I had teacher require me to keep a 3 ring binder with dividers for each subject, to take notes on only one side of notebook paper and keep them in the subsequent sections. I remember hating this. I wanted to keep notes in one spiral notebook with color-coded identifiers for each subject. But it wasn't allowed. 

So when I became a high school teacher, I didn't mind students taking notes the way they wanted. I gave suggestions for various note-taking methods and annotation tools. I welcomed technology into my classroom and monitored student screens and participation closely. 

There are hundreds of various ways to take notes and with just as many note-taking apps out there, it's hard to find the ones that fit each learner's preferences. Here are my suggestions for digital note-taking apps:

I was lucky enough to be turned on to Notability in 2012 and I fell in love with it. I remember emailing my whole school when it was the free featured app that spring. I rarely pay for apps over a dollar or so, but Notability is SO worth it! Additionally, there is a Mac application that syncs with the iPad app. I love this feature so that I can go from one device to another without  missing something for work or home. I particularly like that the app backs-up to a cloud account of your choice. 

This is the app I use. And I noticed that as I when I was sitting in meetings, several of my colleagues were using it also. I like to created folders with color-coded notes. As a teacher, I was able to do digital annotations for grading purposes and students were able to digitally annotate a text, book or worksheet. I like that I can type, hand-write, add images or whatever it is that I need to take notes, that I can switch back-and-forth at my own preference. 




No comments:

Post a Comment