Friday, September 2, 2016

If at first you don't succeed...

"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them;
everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you.
If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up.
Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
~ Michael Jordan

We've all heard the saying from parents, teachers, and mentors alike, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." None of us would be where we are today if we didn't take that first step. Much like we ask our students, all I ask is that you TRY! 

As teachers, every moment in the school day is critical and often planned down to the minute; thus, the last thing I wanted to do was spend that precious time waiting for copies in the copy room. Not to mention, many students lost their handout and required another or stuffed it in the bottom of their backpack never to be seen again. I started thinking how much time and paper was being wasted and thought there had to be another way. 

I thought I'd try with something small: posting material to my teacher website. I would post handouts and other materials days in advance, and if a student preferred a tangible copy then she was responsible for printing it and bringing it to class. Sure it took some practice, and there was certainly a learning curve for us all, but I slowly reduced my paper consumption and the students enjoyed being directed to the Internet for homework. Plus, I gained back precious minutes in my day!

So what would you like to try? What have you heard about and thought "that would be fun" or "my students would really learn from that"? Perhaps you try something new in your elementary centers time or a warm-up or ticket-out in a secondary classroom. It is my hope to feature some of my favorite things here on my blog. Mere suggestions that may or may not be right for you and your students, but you'll never know until you TRY! 

Happy trying! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment